Monday, August 22, 2016

List: Ten things to do before applying for a new job.

I recently went on a fabulous dinner date with my baby cousin.
It turns out that my baby cousin is no longer a baby.
We were celebrating my birthday and the start of her career at a huge accounting firm.
Our dinner date was soon consumed with sparkling sake and adult conversation.
One big topic of talk was how she landed this awesome role straight out of college.
No worries, ladies and gentlemen!  I’ll share her tips to success with you!


Ten things to do before applying for a new job.

1.  Get yourself organized.
Keep your important documents and information in an expandable folder.
I fill mine with copies of my resume, certificates, recommendation letters, and diplomas.

2.  Invest in a portfolio book.
Keep a portfolio book handy and filled with pens, paper, resumes, and other necessities.
Walking into an interview with this leaves you looking prepared, responsible, and professional.

3.  Clean up your social media.
Browse through your social media feeds and delete any unprofessional pictures or posts.
I never believed employers actually looked until the time an interview began with listing our mutual friends!

4.  Google your name for a virtual clean up.
You'll be surprised what will pop up when you Google your name.  Delete all undesirable discoveries.
I recently did this and had a hard time deleting an ancient Twitter account.  I had to beg for it to go away!

5.  Invest in a blazer.
Whether it's a fun colored blazer or plain black one, it's a must for any interview.
I love my coral blazer because it helps me stand out but it still shows that I mean business!

6.  Create a professional e-mail address.
Sign up for a free gmail account and make your e-mail something professional.
Your name separated by a period at gmail.com will always do the trick!

7.  Prepare answers to typical interview questions.
There will be trade specific questions, but the favorites will always pop up.
Don't be afraid to ask family or friends to help role play a practice interview.

8.  Start networking.
Connections and possible opportunities await you when you simply tell people you're ready for a career
I once scored an interview on the elevator ride to another interview!  Always have extra resume copies.

9.  Create a LinkedIn profile.
LinkedIn has become a key tool for networking, recruiting, and researching applicants.  Utilize it!
Tip-Definitely upload a profile picture but keep it tasteful, professional, and a solo shot.

10.  Become confident in yourself.
In the words of my not so baby cousin, "be confident and prepare to sell yourself".
You need to prove to yourself that you're the perfect fit for a career before you can prove it to others!

What do you do to prepare for a job hunt?

5 comments:

  1. my social media is always clean, thank you very much... at least until they get to Hollywood Spy... there was much naughtiness there over the years as Google Ads likes often to remind me and threaten me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad social media did not exist when I was in college! I doubt I ever would have gotten a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully most craziness for me comes from the cat and he just confuses so they pay little attention lol just joined linkedin too I see at your zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your cousin! Being patient is another one. Job hunting always takes longer than you think

    ReplyDelete
  5. 11. Turn back time.

    No one wants to hire someone as old as I am.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved