Monday, June 20, 2016

List: Ten myths about gay people that need to be squashed.

By now I'm sure that each and every one of you heard about the tragedy in Orlando.
For those living under a rock, last week was the largest mass shooting in US history.
I'm not going to talk about the event or even comment on it.
To be honest, if I see an article or post about it, I scroll by as quickly as possible.
Reading about this tragedy makes me beyond sick.
Especially now in the world of SnapChat and texting.  It brings the tragedy to life.

For me, the root of any hate crime is the hate behind it.
Whether it's a prejudice against a skin color or a stereotype about sexual orientation, 
the hate needs to stop.

Many of my closest friends and family members consider themselves part of the gay community.
As a result, I've spent the majority of my life dancing in clubs that you may refer to as a "gay" club.
I'm being completely honest when I say, those make up some of the best memories of my life.
A night of carefree dancing without the constant jerk trying to rub his ding dong on you?  Yes, please!

I was in the middle of a group text with my best friends and my cousins.
These four people are currently in gay relationships and took this hate crime personal.
The topic of "gay myths" came up and they shared some of the cruelest comments they've endured with me.
In an attempt to end the hate, I'm going to share ten of these comments with you all.

Ten myths about gay people that need to be squashed.

1.  "You chose to be gay."
To say someone chooses they're sexual orientation is not ignorant, it's flat out dumb.
Did you choose to be straight?  Did you choose to be asexual?  Of course not.  So why would they?

2.  "I get gay.  I get straight.  But being bisexual is just being a slut."
To say bisexuality in itself is a myth is ridiculous.  But to word it in such a hateful way is crime.
Kudos to my girl who resisted the urge to punch this hateful person right in the face.

3.  "Gay people want to make me gay too."
To say someone wants to change your sexual orientation is insane.  Refer to #1  to see it's not a choice.
I mean, who do you think you are?!  A Hemsworth brother or something?  SMH!

4.  "You can't be gay because you're not feminine."
A man coming out doesn't mean he wants to be a women.  It means that he's attracted to men.
My BFF is a man that likes men and doesn't act feminine.  Consider that dumb myth debunked!

5.  "Same sex couples put a strike against their kids."
An abusive relationship may harm children, but not a gay relationship filled with love.
This ignorant comment ruined a relationship between a mother and daughter in my family.

6.  "Same sex couples will teach their children to be gay."
Once again, please refer to #1 where I state that being gay is not a choice.  It's not a learned behavior either!
At the end of the day, does it matter if your child is attracted to the same sex?  I would hope not!

7.  "Gay people have less success in relationships."
Fact:  In 2013, the divorce rate of same sex couples was significantly LESS than heterosexual couples.
Yes, I totally resorted to Google to squash this myth with factual statistics!

8.  "You can fix that."
Imagine building the courage for years to tell your parents that you're gay to only hear that stupidity.
You can not "fix" your sexual orientation.  Furthermore, being gay is not being broken!

9.  "The gay scene is all about drugs."
First of all, what exactly is a gay scene?  Secondly, any person can become a victim of drugs.
What may drive a person to drink is all the hate in this world, not who they love!!!

10.  "Being gay is just a trend."
This is one myth I hear frequently.  It's not that gay people didn't exist years ago.  They were scared!
Imagine the amount of people forced to living unhappy lives during less accepting time periods.  So sad!

I'll let you all ponder on that for a little while.
Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the day that the headlines read "CLUB" instead of "GAY CLUB".
In the words of a very wise family member, labels do nothing but stamp you to be hated.

What myths about gay people would you like to squash?

**This list came from the heart of my closest friends and family.  Any hurtful comments will be deleted.**

6 comments:

  1. 3 and 6 ever so annoy me too! And people who say I like gays but I wouldn't give them children... Oh, Lord, just throw a rock and be precise, please.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some TV shows actually try and make #3 seem like it's true, pfffft. #7 though, are the stats skewed a bit? Isn't there more heterosexuals than gay couples, so of course the divorce rate would be higher, if that is the case. People say the dumbest things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother-in-law is gay and doesn't quite "look or act" like it. I think many have the stereotype because the only ones who used to come out (in less liberal times) were the ones that were super obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite university professor was gay. I had no idea until someone who'd known him a long time mentioned it to me. I was appalled by "jokes" some of the students made about him.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved