Monday, March 14, 2016

List: Ten stereotypes about women in the workplace that need to be squashed.

I'm a firm believer that women can do anything a man can do, and sometimes they do it better.
While we're lucky enough to live in a time that men and women are typically considered equals, it's disheartening to hear a select few people still put men on a higher pedestal.
While these ignorant people are far and few between, I got stuck with two of them!

Ladies, let's get together and squash those idiotic rumors I was forced to overhear.
FYI, men, in my household, our chores, childcare, and salaries are all pretty much equal.


Ten stereotypes about women in the workplace that need to be squashed.

1.  Women take more time off then men.
All employees are given an equal amount of paid time off based on position and seniority.
Apparently this is proven by our stereotypical mental instability and our motherly instincts.
I fail to see the fine print in my employee handbook that states "Women get an extra 3 days off".

2.  Women with children are less reliable.
As a mother, I would think this would be the opposite.  I became more reliable after having a child.
Apparently children make us use more PTO time, make us sick, and fill our brains leaving no room for work.
I forgot that men have an invisible shield to protect them from getting their child's cold.

3.  Women can't work extended shifts.
We wouldn't have applied let alone accept a position if we couldn't work the required hours.
Apparently we need to come in later and leave earlier to take care of a household.
I work a solid 10-12 hours shift several times a week...and I'm a woman, wife, AND mother!

4.  Women aren't a good business investment.
Women get married and have babies which makes them more likely to quit after a certain age.
Apparently our desire to gain a certain position isn't enough evidence to prove this rumor false.
Not all women want to be full time caregivers.  Those that do, probably won't waste time pursuing a career.

5.  Women sleep their way to the top.
Believe it or not, many women work real hard to obtain certain titles and positions.
Apparently we are incapable of using anything other than our bodies to get anywhere in life.
Truth is, we typically have to work harder than men to overcome stereotypes and to be that star wife.

6.  Women get upper management positions to fill a quota.
See number five.
I find the fact that these laws still exist insulting.  Their existence puts a damper on any woman's success.

7.  Women are too emotional to make hard decisions.
Not everyone is qualified to be in a decision making position.
Both men and women need to learn how to separate their emotions from their business duties.
That reminds me of a corporate meeting I attended last year.  A man giggled at the word "duty".  SMH

8.  Women need to be protected.
While I'm all about chivalry, men need to know that it's more of a want than a need.
Apparently we need a man by our side to protect us physically or from a professional nightmare.
When I asked for a position in the field I was told no because "maintenance men are pigs".

9.  Women don't like to get dirty.
While I'll admit that I hate to get dirty, not all women are that way.
Apparently women are the only ones who shy away from the dirty jobs and  physical labor.
I recently asked a male coworker to hold something and he told me "but, my shirt is clean".  Just saying!

10.  Women are weaker and submissive.
The majority of men are physically stronger then women, but that doesn't make us weak.
Apparently a man's physique is going to make us jump and say "yes sir" at every request.
Besides, I know plenty of women that could mentally or physically kick anyone's butt!

What stereotypes of working women would you like to squash?

6 comments:

  1. Women who are aggressive are bitches. Big fat nope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's not always the woman that takes maturity leave either. I know guys that have taken it instead. I agree men and women can pretty much do whatever, but not all can do what a man can do and not all men can do what a woman can do. Just like not all women can do what other women can do and men what other men can do. Everyone has skills they can and can't do, or just don't want to do. Should be based on the individual not the sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riles me up a bit to hear men talk like this! Typically don't hear it except when passing by a couple of jocks sipping coffee in the break room (while everyone else is working) or overhearing them during their smoke break, basking in the sunlight (while everyone else is working).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't mind sleeping my way all to the top.. if only I get a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to tell the women at my work about number 10. When it comes to any kind of tough labor, they seem to believe not having a Y chromosome gets them out of it when it's suppose to be everyone helping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. women are brighter side of the picture especially when i see in history no woman tried to rule over the world and not responsible for death of hundreds of innocent people ,

    i think their diversity in using their brain and capacity of doing doing many different jobs at one time make them little higher then men ,best part of woman is that she idealize the world in its best shape and then try to make it happen

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved