Monday, January 11, 2016

List: Ten tips to help alleviate stress an anxiety.

I feel like my life is a line of perfectly stacked dominoes being knocked over one by one.
The moment one domino hits the ground; the next one is already tilted and ready to fall.
Let’s just say that I’m currently stressed to the point of uncontrollable acne and blurry vision!
 
One thing that many people can’t understand is that good things can trigger anxiety also.
The constant underlying chance that something could go wrong and the stress of change get me good.
While I’m real happy for blessings, I can’t ignore the anxiety nagging at the inside of my brain!!!  Get it OUT!!
 
I have been so motivated to succeed, that I pushed my mental health to the side.
It’s time to slow down and focus on getting my anxiety in check before it affects my physical health.
Fact:  Anxiety and stress can cause many serious medical issues in addition to physical and mental fatigue.

Ten tips to help alleviate stress and anxiety.
 
1.  Take deep breathes.
When you start feeling like your brain is about to hit overdrive, just stop and breathe.
Your eyes should be closed and your thoughts should be focused on your breathing pattern.
This sounds silly, but it really helps.  After a few minutes, you’ll feel relaxed and ready to think clearly.  I swear!
 
2.  Live with background noise.
The background noise could be soothing music, the TV, or even the sound of your toddler playing.
This will help your brain from wandering into unnecessary stressful thoughts and ideas.
I also find that soft background noise helps me focus.  Without it, my brain starts thinking horrible things.
 
3.  Avoid Googling medical symptoms.
Typing medical symptoms in Google is the same thing as diagnosing yourself with a death sentence.
This triggers all those horrible “what if” thoughts and brain clutter that leaves you unable to perform daily tasks.
When my vision went blurry, I self-diagnosed myself with eye herpes.  I said, EYE HERPES, people!!!!!
 
4.  Perfect the art of distraction.
When your brain is going a mile a minute, find a way to redirect your focus onto something productive.
Dive into work, a good book, a juicy movie, or even a cleaning fit.  Focus your thoughts on a task instead of worry.
This is very difficult for me.  When my brain obsesses over something, it really is an art to redirect it.
 
5.  Learn to rationalize.
Many times anxiety brings about irrational thoughts and fears.  Try to weed through the things that are impractical.
When a crazy thought enters your mind, ask yourself first if it’s possible, then ask yourself if it’s probable.
Ex:  ‘I see perfectly with my glasses.  It’s most likely an issue with my contacts and not a brain tumor.’  See, rational!
 
6.  Avoid high doses of caffeine.
As lovely as those big mugs of coffee are, they don’t mix too well with high levels of anxiety.
Swap your fancy espresso for a flavored decaffeinated tea.  This will help your brain from going into overdrive.
Sometimes caffeine prevents me from winding down when I should be.  It’s just not healthy all around!
 
7.   Invest in melatonin.
Melatonin is a natural sleep aid found in the vitamin aisle.  Pop two of those bad boys and you safely snooze.
Anxiety can make it very difficult to fall asleep.  Melatonin is a great solution especially since it's nonaddictive.
The moment I lay in the dark ready to sleep, all the thoughts start pouring in.  Melatonin really helps!
 
8.  Always stay organized.
Make your schedule, home, career, and every other aspect of your life as organized as possible.
Everything is just a tad less stressful and rushed when there is order to it.
I'm all about eliminating opportunities for anxiety to grow!! 
9.  Do not try to predict the future.
There's nothing worse than worrying and obsessing over what MIGHT happen.
Living in the present and avoiding stress over things that may never happen is key!
This is the hardest part for me.  My brain thinks it has Miss Cleo like powers...
 
10.  Recognize your current state of mind.
When you can stop and tell yourself "hey, that's my anxiety speaking", you're halfway there!
When you can't prevent all of something it's vital to be able to recognize it and fix it.
Don't pull a Jax and over think this!  Sometimes I ignore valid thoughts because I mislabel them as anxiety.
 
How do you alleviate stress and anxiety? 

12 comments:

  1. Trying to predict the future is a big one, screw that, as most times it is never going to be as bad as we make it out to be. Glad you don't have eye herpes lmao google can give us anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have seen the doctor's face when I asked him if I had eye herpes. He turned around, stared at Carlos in the eye, and said "She does NOT have eye herpes". Stupid hypochondria...

      Delete
  2. #2 and #5 really speak to me here. Background noise helps me a ton and I find that a fan will usually do the trick. I can't sleep without one in fact, especially when I'm stressed. And when worry consumes you (so awful), taking a second to rationalize can do a lot of damage control. I hope things get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can!! For some reason my brain automatically goes to these worse case scenarios that are so unlikely it's crazy. I have to stop and tell myself, stop worrying about that before you get another zit. lol

      Delete
  3. I try to be alone, I found out it's usually other people that cause me problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i need a google block on googling symptoms. i am the worst about that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEESS!! Can that be done? I'd totally do it!! lol

      Delete
  5. All good points, especially the Google point. Background noise is often overwhelming for me. Silence calms me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Background noise definitely isn't for everyone! Silence makes my thoughts louder than they should be.

      Delete
  6. Breathing slowly and/or meditating is one very big way for me to de-stress. Your list is really good and very practical. Eye Herpes made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best way I found to relieve stress and anxiety was to do the 'Stress To Vitality Training'.com I got amazing results. It teaches you simple lessons over a two month period. You will be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved