Wednesday, January 27, 2016

List: Ten cheapskate date ideas for you and your toddler.

It's no secret that my husband and I are constantly on the go trying to make a decent income.
We both work long days, my hubby starting at the crack of down and me finishing late into the evening.
I've also started the newest evil of my life:  working from home on days off.

While it is this very mindset that allows us to support our family, it requires sacrifice.
One of the many things we sacrifice is having sincere, genuine family time on a regular basis.
Unless you count our nightly routine of watching a movie and falling asleep as a family.

That being said, I try to make Saturday afternoons a fun time for my little mushy and I.
While my husband is continuing to hustle, I feel the need to make these afternoons a little special.
I also feel the need to keep it low key.  Spending the money as he's making it defeats the purpose!

Ten cheapskate date ideas for you and your toddler.

1.  Have a home karaoke contest.
Line up their favorite dolls as the judges and bust out your karaoke machine.  Let the best man win!
It's amazing how our favorite stuffed Sponge Bob never likes my take on Elsa's Let it Go!

2.  Visit local museums.
 We're fortunate enough to have many local museums that are free of charge and lots of fun for kids!
I'm all for any type of activity that stimulates my baby girl's brain.  It's all about intellect!
  
3.  Set up a scavenger hunt.
Print out a few pictures and hide them around your home.  Make them lead to a small surprise.
This is fun for both of you and it makes things like a new toothbrush actually exciting!

4.  Bake goodies.
You add the ingredients and your toddler can mix them all together.  Then, you both can eat them!
If you're rocking healthy swaps like me, make something fun and healthy like granola bars.

5.  Visit your local library for free activites.
They always have fun things going on from reading time, to crafts, all the way to puppet shows.
We still need to sign up for new library cards.  My baby girl really enjoyed our old library's events!

6.  Rock a dog park.
You don't need a dog to visit a dog park!  Your toddler will love to run, play, and talk to the puppies.
Our local dog park even has a trail that leads to a beach just for the pooches.  How fun is that?!

7.  Prepare a show.
Make a simple show using toys and household objects as props.  Then perform it on camera!
You'll be suprised to see how much your toddler LOVES to see themself on video.
  
8.  Make Soup.
You cut the ingredients, your toddler puts them into the pot, and then you all eat dinner as a family.
Fun and productive sounds like a double win to me!  My mushy even made up a soup song.  lol

9.  Make a garden.
  This could be a simple herb plant to sit on your windowsill, or a full out, hardcore garden.
My brother and I have such great childhood memories doing this that I'd love for my mush to have!

10.  Tell camping stories.
Shut off the lights, turn on a flashlight, huddle toghether and make up spooky stories.
My mushy's stories are always the same "Once a upon time, there was a not nice MONKEY..."

What are your cheapskate date ideas for you and your toddler?

6 comments:

  1. haha oh you should so tape the karaoke contest and put it on youtube. Playing with the pups at the dog park is always fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute ideas. I don't have any toddlers but I've done some of these things with my nephews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my son was little I loved to travel with him. Since my husband was always working, Mike and I would go off on little trips by ourselves. We sang songs and laughed. Best times ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More like SpongeSimon Cowell

    ReplyDelete
  5. as long as you don't just put her in front of the telly like most parents nowadays would do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is super cute and full of great ideas! In fact, I would love to do a lot of this stuff even without a toddler, ha. I think the soup one is a great idea. I have the fondest memories of cooking with adults when I was really little. it's such a nice activity and with such a nice eating date after!

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved