Monday, December 21, 2015

List: Ten things to remember when moving.

As I've probably mentioned way too many times, we're closing on our new home Tuesday.
I'm so stressed and anxious about every piece of this, that it's hard to even be happy!  Sigh...
Closing seems pretty straight forward.  All we really need is a good lawyer and our check book.
What's not straight forward is getting ready to move.
I've done this so many times that I should be a professional, but I always seem to forget something.
I'm really hoping that this list will help myself as much as it helps all of you!

Ten things to remember when moving.

1.  Make a moving plan weeks before the actual move.
We decided to save some money and not hire movers.  I'm lucky enough to have lots of people to help.
Plan:  Pack, rent a truck, recruit help, pick a day, and move everything from one place to the other.  Done!

2.  Rent or hire all moving necessities at least a week before.
I just rented a 26' Uhaul truck this morning.  If you wait too long, they can't guarantee the truck you need.
Let's all hope that my amazing husband is amazing at driving a 26' truck.

3.  Collect enough boxes and newspapers to do the job.
We went to local stores and they happily donated the necessary supplies.
If you wait until near closing time, card stores will usually give you all the prior days newspapers.

4.  Gather lots of sheets and blankets.
You'll need these to protect your furniture while cramming them into a truck.
I always seem to forget this part.  This will hopefully be the first time that I remember!

5.  But a bottle or two of your favorite wine.
Packing is a stressful and daunting task.  You'll need a few glasses of wine to get through it!
I already bought two bottles of my favorite; La Crema Monterey Pinot Noir.  Yum!

6.  Eliminate what you don't need prior to moving.
Don't haul crap from one place to another.  Get rid of it because it takes up precious moving supplies!
I've got rid of many things I don't need anymore through Mercari!  I love this app!

7.  Label the boxes with breakables.
Write FRAGILE in large, red letters on appropriate boxes.  All other labels should be in black.
Remember no one is going to take the time to read what's in each and every box!

8.  Call utility companies ahead of time.
You'll need the lights on to move and live!  Don't wait until the day of to do this.
I'll never forget the last time I moved we didn't have electric for 24 hours.  We moved in the dark!

9.  Save a large suitcase for the very end.
You'll need some things to live just for the morning of the move.  An empty suitcase is the perfect solution!
Here's another thing I always forget to do and end up rocking old Target bags!

10.  Shop around for locksmiths.
The first things you should do the second you're ready to move, is hire someone to change all of the locks.
I mean, you never know who has a key to the original locks.  Better safe than sorry!

What are your moving tips?

9 comments:

  1. You sound very organized. I have not moved in 20 years, and I can't even imagine that stress over Christmas, so I think you should double the amount of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say also organize by room - perhaps by color? Red marker is kitchen, blue is bedroom, etc. Or at least "UP" and "DOWN" if it's a bilevel house. Good for both the movers and unpackers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list indeed. Having all utilities hooked up on time is a big one. And yep, purging the crap I always do. The cats have more things than I do at this point, no joke lol Changing locks is a really good idea. Also I'd throw in buy new toilet seats, never know what germy arse sat on the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very organized. I would lose my list or accidentally pack it.

    We moved once from a house I owned to a house my husband and I bought together. He had to work,(Christmas season- he works everyday) so he left in the morning, living at one house and when he lived in a different house when he got off work that evening. My sons, daughter and I moved the whole thing ourselves in our two pickups and van. Luckily, we were only moving 4 blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be moving (hopefully) next year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two words for you: Cable company!!! OMG it was a nightmare. We have Comcast...here's what we found: they won't come out and survey the situation until you're actually in the house, so if there's any problem that makes it even slightly hard for them to do their job, they'll say, "We're going to have to send out a different crew to do X before we can hook you up because we don't do X. We only do Y." Three weeks later, the X crew shows up. I wanted to strangle them all. Of course, we moved into a house that had AT&T hooked up...and "X" was digging a trench from the pole to the house, which they do with this little tool they have. No big deal, but they made it sound like they were excavating our entire yard and it required a full construction crew when they first came out.

    The other issue I had was autopay. We have separate water, utility, and gas companies--all in different towns. I thought I'd gotten autopay set up for all of them, but apparently with the water co., I'd asked for paperless billing. So I wasn't getting a bill and they weren't taking out the money. Two months later, I got a notice that my water was about to be shut off for non-payment. UGH!!! I got it all straightened out, and now my bills all just come out. But getting all that settled definitely took a while. Once all that's settled, though, you're just happy to be in your new house! (And you vow never to move again...then forget that vow a few years later.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my moving tip: pay someone a hefty sum to do it for you, and they'd better be insured too.

    I know, I'm lazy. Good luck with the prepping.

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved