Wednesday, November 18, 2015

List: Ten ways to get more productive time into your day.

Recently my life has gone from full to overflowing.
If my life was a bathtub, the bathroom would totally be flooded.

My husband got a promotion at work (woo hoo), which is amazing and awful at the same time.
I’m loving the extra money, but his new work schedule really stinks.
We’re talking Monday through Friday at 5am to 5pm, Saturdays at 8am to 2pm, & Sunday 6am-12pm.
While it’s definitely good news, it’s costing us a lot of sleep and putting lots of extra work on me.
All those little things he did that I totally never appreciated now fall on me, and I’m WIPED.
It puts a whole new meaning on the saying “you never know what you got until you lose it”!

On top of my hubby’s new work hours, I still have all my typical stresses at my own job, home, etc.
Add a heaping spoon of buying a house, a layer of the college class from hell, a sprinkle of potty training…
And you get a gross looking sundae called One Stressed Out Mama!!!
You think I should market that?  It could totally sell!

While I could spend hours venting, it’s about time I solve the problem.
Solution:  I need more free time for productivity throughout the day.
No matter how stressed I am, I always make time to make a list!

Ten ways to get more productive time into your day.

1.  Eliminate redundant tasks.
I’m infamous for this.  I tend to indirectly do the same thing over and over again.
We’ll just blame my OCD for this one…and do everything possible to stop it.

2.  Motivate yourself.
I like to get things done as quickly as possible so I can have uninterrupted free time later on.
It’s sad when things like “quiet time” and watching a 30 minute TV show become motivation!

3.  Revise your schedule to fit your new needs.
Unfortunately, when one thing in life changes so does almost everything else.  Make it work for you.
When I get into a routine, it’s real hard for me to break it.  Here’s to deep breathes and new schedules…

4.  Prioritize.
It’s important to get priorities straight.  Wasted time on unimportant tasks is time you can’t get back.
I’m constantly wasting hours on unnecessary things and then have to rush through the priorities.

5.  When doing for the present, do for the future.
You could save time with repetitive daily tasks by making them weekly activities.
I save time by spending 20 min on Sunday making my lunches for the week instead of 15 min a day.  Win!

6.  Multitask.
When possible, multitask!  If two tasks are similar, it makes sense to kill two birds with one stone.
If two reports require the same information, it makes just sense to do them simultaneously.

7.  Ask for help.
Whether to save face or out of stubbornness, people are always afraid to ask for help.  Just do it.
There’s no need to kill yourself if someone else can ease the burden.  Besides, most people LIKE to help!

8.  Keep yourself well rested.
Rest might sound counterproductive, but without it you’re more likely to be slow and full of mistakes.
When I see myself getting groggy, I go to bed early.  I make up for it by waking up early the next day.

9.  If completely necessary, pay for it.
Sometimes it makes sense to pay to have a service done.  I don’t like to, but a heart attack ain’t worth it!
As my wise grandpa always says, how much money is your time worth?”

10.  Make a list!
What better way to reschedule, prioritize, and multitask then to have a list of everything you need to do!
I mean, what else did you expect me to say?  Lists are the best thing since, like, ever!!!

How do you add more productive time to your day?

8 comments:

  1. Ask for help? From whom? :) I enhance my productiveness by waking up early and finishing all kitchen and house chores by 9am after which the whole day can be spent working and doing other things. I do wish I had a butler, though ... a hot one if possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my chores in the early morning too Dezzy. I get my laundry going, kitchen chores done, and "to do" list organized for the day before anyone else wakes up.

      Delete
    2. that is the way to roll, Debs ... admittedly, I do it to avoid seeing all other house members lol

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are some nasty hours. But money is always good I guess. Oh yeah, I hire someone else to do it when I can. Like my last move, went smooth as can be because I hired some else to do it instead of bumming friends and family. Saved my back a whole lot of pain too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your husband's promotion but whew what a schedule! You hit the nail on the head with number 7 and 8

    ReplyDelete
  4. So he gets not a single day off?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got tired reading that post. Your husband's hours are horrific. My game plan when my kids were little and I felt overwhelmed, don't clean the house. It can wait for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you always do the best job of breaking down how to actually get ish done! I love it. Sometimes half the stupid battle is motivation!

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved