Friday, September 11, 2015

Recipe: Split Pea Soup

It’s near impossible to get my man to eat vegetables.
Being the health conscious person that I am, this drives me absolutely crazy!
One of my many tricks to get my husband to consume veggies is to make homemade split pea soup.
I use the dried yellow peas so he doesn’t know that it’s a vegetable.
He thinks it’s some sort of yellow bean.  Shhh, don’t tell him the truth!
Not only does it get him to eat a vegetable, but he actually enjoys this dish.
This is one of the few meals that I can honestly say all 3 of us thoroughly enjoy.  Yum!

******


Homemade Split Pea Soup

(1) Lb Dried Split Yellow Peas
(1) Package Bacon, Diced
(1) Large Onion, Diced
(1/2) Cup Olive Oil
(2) 16-Oz Containers of Chicken Broth
(3) Cups Water
(4) Carrots, Peeled and Diced
(6) Potatoes, Peel and Diced
(1) Tablespoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
(1) Tablespoon Dried Oregano
(1) Teaspoon Ground Pepper
(1) Teaspoon Garlic Powder

Dice the package of bacon and cook in a pan until crispy.  Strain and set aside.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil.  Add the diced onion and cook until the onion becomes translucent.  Add the cooked bacon, the peas, the carrots, the potatoes, and all of the seasonings.  Mix together and add the chicken broth.  Stir.  Bring the pot to a boil, cover, and let cook on low for an hour.  Stir occasionally.  Add the 3 cups of water, stir, and lightly simmer for an additional 2 hours on low.  The pea should cook right into the liquid making this a thick, hearty soup.
Tip:  Freeze half the pot.  When cooking the frozen leftovers, add another cup of chicken broth.

******

Mushy and I eat the soup plain, but my husband likes his served over rice.
Anything to get him to veggies, right?!  Sigh…
This is one of our favorite fall/winter recipes.  It’s really very yummy!


Have you or will you make homemade split pea soup?

7 comments:

  1. I have never made split pea soup but I LOVE being given a bowl of it as it is always delicious! Maybe I'll try to make it this fall! And that's really funny about the vegetables, my sister has the same problem with her husband and it drives her nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha you have to trick him into eating veggies at your sea? Afraid he'll turn green?

    ReplyDelete
  3. why are they called split peas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummmm...I just pinned this, Jax, and since you give it your Jax Seal of Approval, I will make it soon. We do love homemade soup. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made this or even tasted it! We love our veggies, so we're safe. haha. And anything tastes better with bacon, right? yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a soup person, I don't think Daisy ever eats much of it either.

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved