Monday, September 28, 2015

List: How to act like a hipster.

Yesterday I told you guys how Tab indirectly challenged me to become a “Hipster”.
I mean, how do you label a girl “trendy” without expecting her to lash back?

 I did the most “un-hipster” thing I could do to prove Tab wrong.
I researched “How to become a Hipster”, stapled my new “guide”, and highlighted the key points.
Talk about what a trendy person would do!  Sigh… 

After all my research and color coordinated highlighting, I realized one thing.
Tab was totally right and I could never, ever become a Hipster.
Hipsters may be unique and trendy, but they are exhausting.
I got tired just reading the rules for joining this social group! 

************************** 

In honor of our fiscal year end, I'm going to have to do a couple of re-posts.
Please enjoy this series from 2012.  This is my #10 most popular post  according to my Blogger stats.

*********

Here are 10 reasons why I could not become a Hipster. 

1.  Fashion
Hipsters get their apparel from places like vintage stores, their grandmother’s closets, and independent retailers.
They also like to rock over-sized, plastic glasses to complete the unique look.
Their clothes are typically layered and not matching.
Ok, the fashion thing I could do.  Well, minus the clothes that don’t match.  I mean, why wouldn’t you match?

2.  Lingo
Hipsters need to develop a whole new way of talking.
They use different sayings such as “totally deck”, “don’t be a daisy”, and “I liked them before they were famous”.
I blab way too much to change my lingo now.  I talk exactly how I write in this blog!

3.  Attitude
Hipsters are supposed to have a sarcastic, mellow personality.  They are also known to drop names.
A hipster also has to be able to tone down their humor and giggles.
Ok, I could try as hard as I want, but I’ll never have a mellow personality.  No giggles either?  Not happening… 

4.  Hair & Nails
Hair or Nail salons do not exist in the world of Hipsters.  They don’t believe in getting your hair or nails did.
Just to be clear, that means no hair appointment every 6 weeks.  That also means no UV gel mani/pedi!
Jax does not miss her hair or nail appointments.  That may be a trendy thing to do, but I really don’t care!!

5.  Independent Music & Art
Hipsters only indulge in independent music and art.  They only enjoy things that aren’t mainstream.
They could be a fan of a band one day, and hate them the next simply because the band got some hype.
They also make insulting popular artists a habit.
Where’s the fan loyalty?  When I love an artist it’s usually for life!  I’m also not too good at insulting people! 

6.  Magazines
The only magazines these people read are the ones meant for their community.
No Glamour magazine was the defining factor in my decision.  I mean, a life without Glamour?  Why?! 

7.  Dating
Hipsters tend to only date other hipsters.  They like to stay within their non-mainstream clique.
Just to be clear, that means no sexy professionals on the dating menu.  Don’t even look at the doctors or lawyers!
As if finding a decent guy isn’t hard enough, let’s eliminate the majority of the population.  Lovely… 

8.  Vocabulary
On top of the crazy lingo that these people made up, they also use words that they know nobody will understand.
They’ll go into the dictionary and look up random words to incorporate into their everyday vocab.
At least this enhances their intelligence, but why?  Why would you want to waste time talking if no one can understand you?

9.  Food
Growing your own food and adopting a vegan lifestyle is a key point of becoming a hipster.
If growing your food is impossible, stick to stores like Whole Foods that sell organic, well-seasoned varieties.
Hipsters are also famous for cooking their own gourmet meals based on what food is “hip” at the moment.
I get having “hip” clothes, listening to “hip” music, or even just being “hip”.  But, “hip” food?  No…

10.  Deny Everything
The most important thing about being a hipster, is to deny that you are one.
On top of denying that you are a hipster, you need to make fun of other hipsters for being a hipster.
Let me get this straight.  They go through all this trouble to be a hipster and they can’t even label themselves as one.
That’s just insane. 

************************** 

I will submit to me being “trendy”, congratulate Tab for winning, and continue to admire the hipsters from afar.
Want to make bets that Tab rolls his eyes after finding out all the work I put into this? 

Could you ever become a Hipster?
I mean, don’t be a daisy because it’s totally deck!

12 comments:

  1. I do love me oversized plastic glasses! That is how I rule! And I do stick myself to the Whole Food stores :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this :)

    See how trendy I am? I don't get my nails done. Oh, and my hair? um, that's my natural color….really….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least they can save money on haircuts and such lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if anyone would say "don't be a daisy" to my wife. Hipsters are hard to find in this part of the country

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just too many rules. If I were a hipster, I'd be a rule-breaking hipster. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the key to being a hipster is NOT to work at it...just be you! The problem with hipsters is that, despite what many of them say, they DO follow social rules and trends. To be truly hipster, you wouldn't follow any rules at all and would just wear whatever you want, but I see many of them wearing the "uniform" of a hipster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hipsters tend to only date other hipsters? How rude!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice list! Definitely important to 'not care' or try, lol. but I like the grow your own food aspect :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. list is impeccable..but I don't think I could be one... the fist thing being I care a lot. I mean I just will be caring so much. How cool it is to not care lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I could talk like a hipster, either. I don't even know what "totally deck" means, haha!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pretty much am, especially the denial part. Unfortunately haha

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved