Friday, September 25, 2015

Discussion: Social labels, Hipster Vs. Trendy.

In honor of our fiscal year end, I'm going to have to do a couple of re-posts.
Please enjoy this series from 2012.  This is my #10 most popular post  according to my Blogger stats.

*********

A few weeks back, Tab and I hit up our regular lunch spot, Whole Foods.
Do you have a Whole Foods near you?  If so, you should totally shop there!  The food is yummy and healthy.
While I enjoy the food, that isn’t the only reason why I am a regular at this establishment.
Whole Foods just happens to be crawling with people referred to as Hipsters.
How many of you just hummed that Ke$ha song?  Don’t lie!

What is a hipster anyways, Jax?
A hipster is a super cool and super fashionable person that definitely doesn’t use the word “super”.
They are known for their unique style, underground music choices, and the need to always be different.
Tell me you’re not intrigued by these people?  They have cool written all over them!!

This led to a discussion of how I would love to become a hipster.
I mean, hipsters are totally hot!  I also love their carefree attitude and unique style!




That’s when Tab looked at me and said “You can’t be a hipster. You’re trendy.”.
Mixed emotions much?  I’ve never been labeled before!!
Tab then went back to eating his lunch like nothing just happened.
I mean, how could he be so ignorant to what he just started?
Tab challenged me.  Tab took off his glove, slapped me with it, and initiated a duel.
Challenge accepted and game on.

That’s when Tab caught my eye and knew exactly what I was thinking.
After an unnaturally long huff, he said “You can never be a hipster.  That’s like trying to convert Paris Hilton.”
Paris Hilton?  This went from a glove slap to swinging at me with a sword!!!

I then spent the next week gathering as much information as possible on how to become a hipster.
Lucky for me, I found a website with a very thorough step by step guide.
I’ll keep you guys updated on my “hipster” progress.
…because you care, right?  Right?!

Have you ever been labeled with a social title?

8 comments:

  1. some of them hipsters have no taste whatsoevah! Most of them look like they use trash bins as their wardrobes.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Dezzy! My kids are anti hipster and when I can drag them shopping they want anything that does not look hipster. No skinny jeans fo sho for my boys! Oh, and I can't afford to have lunch at Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods). The one and only time I was there I went to the salad bar and my very modest salad cost 18 bucks. For reals!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I stay far away from ever becoming a hipster. I find many of them just seem to want attention anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote about this a while back and actually offended a couple of people, which I never intended to do! I was covering the fact that hipsters are hard to define because their very purpose is to NOT be defined. A couple of people seemed to have their own thoughts about hipsters and strongly disagreed with the multiple pictures I posted of guys in plaid shirts and long beards (the lumberjack look, I call it!), the girls dressed similarly to Zooey, etc. They thought hipsters were people who were "hip" and dressed trendy. It's funny because my stepdaughter was walking through Forever 21, saying all the clothes were "hipster," when I thought they were trendy...but there were a LOT of Zooey clothes in there...does that mean hipster is in now?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter told me a few years ago that my son, who is also her brother, is a hipster. I couldn't figure it out. Finally, I asked Sam, who cares for my golden tresses, if my son is a hipster. She said he's not a hipster, but he has hipsterish qualities. Then she told me what they were. I feel better now. Have I ever been labeled with a social title? Does slut count?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to avoid trend and status titles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually just follow what I want. I like what I like because I like it. I don't care about trends or titles. Many of the "hipsters" make me giggle because the original "hipsters" just did their own thing. They weren't about trends in any sort of way. And now they're all about what they were originally against. It's kind of crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahah, noooooo! lol, don't become a hipster. Or at least keep your non-hipster attitude. ha! Here's a nice little rundown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exTEep3OxMA

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved