Wednesday, June 24, 2015

List: Ten simple ways to just be happy.

I recently read a book called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.
It was an enlightening read, but it was more of a “how to” than a juicy story with a moral.


While this book may not have had me on the edge of my seat, it did get me thinking.
Am I really happy?  Maybe I’m content, but how can I be overjoyed?  Is my family happy?
That’s when I realized that we, as a society, are thinking way too much into such a simple concept.
Everywhere I turn there is a new article on “how to know he/she/wife/husband/dog is happy”.
I think that analyzing and worrying about your happiness will actually have a reverse effect.
No worries, Jax is going to make this whole “happiness” thing real simple for you!

Ten simple ways to just be happy.

1.  Don’t measure your happiness.
If you need to stop and think if you’re actually happy or how happy you are, you’re not that happy.
Happiness is enjoying the moment and the people around you without outside distractions.
A happy moment is something you will remember and reflect on as a pleasant memory without doubt.

2.  Surround yourself with only people you genuinely enjoy.
You know whose company you look forward to and whose company you dread.
Eliminate the people from your life that you consider toxic or just bring you down.
Being around that one person you dislike can turn a nice event into a horror show.  Cut him/her out!

3.  Don’t be a bystander and be involved.
Being happy means getting involved, having fun, and enjoying the moments life gives you.
Get up and dance.  Pick up the art brush.  Taste the new foods.  Play the game.
You totally get the point.  Don’t be the person lurking in the corner envying the people doing something.

4.  Realize the world doesn’t owe you squat.
Some people have this false perspective that the world owes them happiness.
You need to make your own happiness.  It won’t fall into your lap.  You need to go and get it.
The world isn’t dishing out vacations, boyfriends, or nights out on the town?  Go get them yourself!

5.   Fill your day with things you enjoy.
Your work days should be filled with the tasks of a career that you love.
Your free time should be filled with people, events, and things that you love.
If you aren’t content with large aspects of your life, these are the first things you need to change.

6.  Don’t live in the past.
We all have those days or years that were filled with misery.  Stop reliving them in your head.
These were experiences or people that helped you learn and grow.  Leave it at that and move on.
Living in the past makes people fear the future.  No one can be happy that way.

7.  Cherish your body as your biggest treasure.
Be healthy.  Don’t do drugs.  Don’t sleep around.  Wear sunscreen.  Let it rest and recharge.
Your body is the most important tool you have in life.  Preserving it is preserving happiness.
There are so many unfortunate events in life that can’t be prevented.  Limit these opportunities.

8.  Accept yourself for everything that you are.
We all have insecurities, but we should never let them get in the way of our lives or happiness.
Wear that bikini.  Dance without rhythm.  Snort when you laugh.  Rock those frizzy curls.
Hiding insecurities or missing out because of them will always hinder your happiness.

9.  Celebrate all of your achievements.
Not all of your achievements need to be huge in order for you to be proud of them.
You may not have graduated yet, but you passed that nearly impossible class.  Celebrate it!
Celebrating and acknowledging an accomplishment will bring happiness and create memories.

10.  Laugh.  Smile.  Enjoy.
You may not want to go somewhere or do that thing, but you’re obligated to anyway.
Don’t pout and be miserable.  Instead laugh with people, smile at the day, and enjoy what you can.
Happiness is all about your outlook on something.  Intend to be happy and it may just happen. 

How do you do happiness?

22 comments:

  1. #2 and #6 are crucial for me and remember that happiness comes from within. A very wise person told me once that you can't look for happiness any further than your own eyelashes. Look inside yourself first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise and I totally agree. :)

      Delete
  2. Such a great list! Happiness is a choice and I do think it is tied with contentment. Things can't make you happy and I think many people get caught up in that but some of the richest people in the world are miserable. It's deeper than money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. I completely agree with you. Happiness is about perspective and choice. Material things (or lack there of) can only make you miserable if you allow them to.

      Delete
  3. Being content sure helps with happiness. As all the materialistic crap in the world isn't going to make one happy. Having enough money to not worry though, will. Taste new foods? Hell no! lol stick your raw fish and Canadian bacon hahaha

    Number 4 so many think the opposite. Oh the world owes me. Big fat crybabies. Number 7 I do every day at my zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You certainly need money to live stress free, but it should be the thing controlling your happiness. YES!!! You MUST taste new foods. The raw fish was delish and you're people invented Canadian bacon!! lol lol

      I try and do #7 also. That's huge for me especially with my health anxiety. lol lol

      Delete
  4. I think being happy with what you do is so important!! I can't even tell you how badly I want that in my life - just to wake up and know that I'm working towards something that I WANT! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's huge!! Hopefully we all reach that point one day. We just have to work for it and make it happen. :)

      Delete
  5. There are a few people in my life that I need to send this post to......such a great and inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4 and 6 would be my fave! And both still not mastered by me :)
    Somebody recently said that the key to happiness is accepting that we all, just by existing, deserve to be happy and loved, that we don't have to be richer, have better jobs, better bodies ... to be loved... that we deserve to be loved just by being us... Such a lovely thought it is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all difficult for me...but especially number 6 as my anxiety makes me always think of everything!!

      Yes, that really is a lovely thought. :)

      Delete
  7. I think everyone should follow number six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...but it's also one of the most difficult ones to follow!

      Delete
  8. These are wonderful rules....
    now I have to go back and see why ADAM thinks we should follow #6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I do that too!! You think if I wrote I'd at least be able to remember the numbers. ..but nooooo. Haha

      Delete
  9. I love the tip about surrounding yourself with positive people who you enjoy- this is actually SO important!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I think I've seen that book before, but I'm not one for self-help books.
    I love your list though! I especially love number four and know a bunch of folks that still have that to learn. *shakes head* Also, I'm working on cherishing my body and accepting myself as I am, but that's a long, bumpy road.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good list you have compiled there, Jax. Some of these things I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved