Monday, May 18, 2015

List: Ten reasons why it's OK to have an old soul.

Recently, I’ve been told to “grow up” by someone who is a little bitter with me.
Since I care about this person, I held back saying “take a good look at your life and then mine”.
Naturally, I was little hurt by this statement so my anxiety asked around for justification.
The most common answer I received was, “If anything, you’re a little TOO mature for your age”.
My man was one of them.  He used it as an excuse to tell me to loosen up a little sometimes.

To put it into perspective, I’ve always had an old soul.
I’ve held a permanent job since the age of 14 and worked full time since I was 17.
I’ve lived on my own and mostly took care of myself since the age of 19.
I’ve completely supported myself financially since the age of 19 and never asked for help.
I paid (and still am paying) my own way through school without any loans.
I also made a quick transition from being a single, independent girl to a family woman and a mother.
How much more growing up would someone like me to do at the age of 26??  Seriously?!

While I’m proud of all I accomplished by this age, that statement helped open my eyes.
I do need to stop worrying every day, sometimes spend money for no reason, and just have fun!
But, by no means, do I ever want to stop having an old soul.
Ladies and gentlemen, Jax is here to defend us “too mature for our age” people.  Your welcome!

Ten reasons why it's OK to have an old soul.

1.  You rely on yourself.
It's a reassuring feeling to know that, no matter what, you will always be ok alone.

2.  You quickly weed out your true friends.
You don’t have time or energy to try and make a friendship with someone who isn’t genuine.

3.  You make financial stability a priority.
Whether it’s scoring a good job or working 5 at once, you do what you need to do to make ends meet.

4.  You won’t settle in a relationship.
Be proud that your man/woman is there because you want them to, not because you need them to.

5.  You know the value of a good credit score.
It could take years to fix a damaged credit score.  You know this and you manage it.

6.  You know the importance of controlling your temper.
While the crazy person is in your face yelling, you (usually) keep your cool.

7.  You think before acting.
An old soul will take time to ponder a big decision.  We will also take time to consider our words.

8.  You admit your mistakes and try to learn from them.
It’s hard to admit one’s faults.  Be proud that you not only acknowledge them but you try to fix them.

9.  You know when it’s OK to brown nose.
People who call you a suck up are just mad that you that you’re a manager’s new favorite!

10.  You know when and where to use electronics
Us old souls will sit at a table enjoying real conversation while others are browse through Instagram.

Is being named an old soul a compliment or an insult?  Why?

26 comments:

  1. it's a compliment in my realm.... considering me is an Ancient Soul :) I was probably born old.... you gotta be oldsouled to survive everything I do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I hear that allll the time how I born an old soul. Sigh...You're right! It's definitely a compliment, especially when it comes from a much older person who has none of their sh*t together. :)

      Delete
  2. i abolsutely see that as a compliment. you've figured out what a lot of people won't in a lifetime. kudos, jax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elle. That means a lot!

      Delete
  3. Considering you learned all of those important life lessons at the tender age of 26, you are decades ahead of your time and you should be patting yourself on the back. Some people don't even learn half of those lessons in their lifetime and make others miserable around them. Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady. Making others miserable sort of hits the nail on the head. I'll take my old soul to the grave. :)

      Delete
  4. Just let it roll off your back....I wouldn't give their comment the time of day. You have to be comfortable with who you are. I've never thought of you as immature, if that is what they are getting at. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Betsy. I just have to let it roll on off. haha

      Delete
  5. I know how annoying that is. Someone told me that I should quit blogging and posting photos on Facebook and actually start living. I was like have you actually read the blog and looked at the photos? I live more in a week than some people do in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Like posting pictures of your life means that you don't have one. What a silly concept!

      Delete
  6. Maybe they were being literal and just wanted you to wear bigger shoes so you`d be a littler taller, lmao

    Yep, just ignore such people and be on your way, all they are is life suckers anyway. I do what needs to be done to make it through. Been called an old soul a time or two. Worked since I was 12, ugg to that. But not worrying so much about things is a good thing to have as well. sometimes what will be will be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardy har har har, Pat!!! Besides, if I wear any taller shoes, I won't be able to walk. lol!

      The blogging world seems to be filled with old souls. I'm glad to hear that you're one too. hehe I really do need to work on not worrying so much. I mean, it's not good for my health and it does make life pass me by way too quickly.

      Delete
    2. Yep, worrying gets you nowhere, just pfffft it away at your lair

      Delete
  7. Good for you! Man, I'm sure my Dad wishes I had picked up on some of your old soulness much earlier. I think it's definitely a good thing to be called that. It reflects on someone's wisdom and maturity, all good things. I've definitely gotten the impression of you being an old soul from your writing, in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caitlin! Yes, being an old soul has it's ups and downs...but I totally wouldn't want to lose those ups. :)

      Delete
  8. I think it's more of a compliment

    ReplyDelete
  9. What... you'completely supported yourself financially since the age of 19? You're a hero for crying out loud! No, I'm not brown nosing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm an old soul as well, but I also have moments where I'm five. I don't go out and party or drink or anything of that nature, but turn on The Lion King and my attention is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen, sister! Definite perks to being an old soul. :)


    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a compliment! You've got your stuff together and that's awesome. Wish I could say the same. You're a year older than me and I can say I'm nowhere near as successful. And I only do maybe four of those listed things. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not only are you an old soul...you are very, VERY wise.
    and it HAS to be a compliment to me when called an old soul....'cause I AM an old....soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find being told I'm an old soul a compliment. All of these characteristics you have mentioned above are definitely me.

    Jessica @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved