Monday, April 13, 2015

List: Ten rules to live by on a first date.

During another fabulous lunch with my co-workers, I learned that a first date was planned.
She joined the website Plenty of Fish and quickly caught herself a potential keeper.
I spared her any of my stories from that site.  It was years ago and everyone’s experience is unique!

She told us all of the juicy details about this mystery man and shared a picture.
While she was confident that he had potential, she was worried that she might mess it up.
That’s when we started brainstorming all the rules for a great first date!
Luckily for all you ladies, I made some serious mental notes to share with you all today!  Enjoy.


A lady’s guide for conquering a first date.

1. Safety First.  Never let the person know where you live.  Meet them somewhere.  Send all of your date’s information to a few people that you trust.  Give them a time to call you by to make sure that you are still alive. Hopefully if you don’t answer, your people will call the po-po to come and find you!  Have a code word with your friends.  If I text my girl the word “peaches” she knows to come save my butt.

2. A Happy Makeup Medium.  Doll yourself up with makeup and a cute outfit, but don’t be one of those fools that over does it.  You want to look natural, not like a desperate chick trying to impress her wannabe Prince Charming.  Dress hot, not overdone.  Guys have a sense for when a girl’s trying too hard.  For the love of God, put that ball gown down!

3.  Clean Teeth.  Check your teeth before you go out, during your date, and after.  Don't do my famous routine of smiling into the blade of your knife.  I'll know what you’re doing, but your date might think you're wacked.  Excuse yourself and run into the little girls room just to make sure that your smile is little free of little green particles!  For a quick double check, casually take a peek at your reflection in your cell phone. 

4. Watch Your Mouth.  Looks are appealing, but the conversation reels that fish in Keep the potty mouth in the trash where it belongs.  Keep the gossip in your best friend’s vault.  And, avoid that valley girl talk while twirling your hair. We don’t want him thinking bimbo now do we?

5. Eye Contact.  Look him in the eyes.  No, not stare down creepy!  Keep casual eye contact throughout the date to show your interest and confidence.  Someone looking up tends to be day dreaming and someone looking down shows insecurities and nervousness.  A man will be able to read your body language.

6. Be Busy.  I’m not talking that fake busy where you list a millions things that you would like to do but don’t actually have time for.  I’m talking, be available but not too available.  Let your date know you have a life but you still have time for them. 

7. Ask Questions.  Girls tend to mostly talk about themselves.  Get to know your date and listen to them.  I’m famous for this.  I ask a lot of questions but my mind drifts off mid answer.  Focus!!!!  Don’t get too personal, but dig as deep as you can.  My dad, TheViking, likes to think of first dates as an interview.  In a way, he’s right!

8. Don’t Complain.  Keep your complaints about life to yourself until after the date when you call a family member to vent.  It’s a first date, not a psychologist appointment.  Try and keep the conversation focused on positive things.  I have a girlfriend who’s famous for complaining about everything!  And then she wonders why they don’t call back…

9. One Drink Minimum.  Please don’t come off as an alcoholic on your first date.  I know you’re nervous and you want to drink the butterflies away, but this never works!  Keep the one drink minimum rule.  Whiskey sour?  Yes, please!  You want to be able to keep your composure for your safety as well.  Remember, you don’t really know the guy and we don’t want you taken advantage of!

10. The Goodbye.  The date depends on your parting.  Keep the goodbye short and sweet If you are interested, make it known casually with a “see you soon”.  Give a hug or a quick kiss and be on your way.  Don’t be awkward.  The worst is when you do that weird square dance like shuffle where you don’t know if you should hug, kiss, shake hands, or hi five!


What are your tips for a great first date?

25 comments:

  1. and don't talk like a machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will show these tips to my sons since I have not had a first date in over 30 years. Maybe they can pick up something from the lady's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so true and are timeless! i am so shy when i first meet people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I get silly when I meet people for the first time. I totally stumble over words and giggle like a creeper.

      Delete
  4. All good advise! And don't talk incessantly....listen, too! Oh, and don't order the most expensive thing on the menu....and put your phone away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, and yes!!! I always try to order something less expensive when it's on someone else's dime.

      Delete
  5. lmao on the safety first rule. I still laugh when I think of you leaving your cellphone and everyone panicking hahahaha

    Is there a time length on these suckers? How in the heck does one get away? My most recent one lasted 2 hours. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao!!!!!! Yesssss...My cousin came to my rescue and my dad started an hour drive to save me. We certainly had an adventure. :)

      Lol!!! Tell them your aunt lost your 2 month old God son. That worked for me.

      Delete
    2. It was an adventure indeed haha

      Hmm I have a 8 year old cousin I can use an excuse. My go to excuse is the cat is waiting for me though haha

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh I had so many terrible first dates and I think it was because the guy didn't follow any of the first date rules!! I think the one drink minimum is a great rule! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips as usual!!! I agree about not letting them know where you live if it's a complete rando. Very important!
    I also found when I was dating that to have a few topics to bring up in your back pocket can really help alleviate any of that awkward silence that can happen on accident sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea!! Do you remember when Corey Matthews wrote convo topics on the back of his hand in Boy Meets World? Classic!

      Delete
  8. These are such great points of advice, lady! The one drink rule is a great one to stick by - and the safety one! I always gave a time frame and would text someone to let them know I was alive and didn't have my head chopped off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Not to mention I would secretly send someone a picture of their license plate. People are scary!

      Delete
  9. A man's list is a bit shorter. Fresh breath, smell good, pay for everything, don't sound like a perv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You about summed it up in one sentence. Lol

      Delete
  10. Oooh, clean teeth. Very important!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved