During another fabulous lunch with my co-workers, I learned that a first date was planned.
She joined the website Plenty of Fish and quickly caught herself a potential keeper.
I spared her any of my stories from that site. It was years ago and everyone’s experience is unique!
She told us all of the juicy details about this mystery man and shared a picture.
While she was confident that he had potential, she was worried that she might mess it up.
That’s when we started brainstorming all the rules for a great first date!
Luckily for all you ladies, I made some serious mental notes to share with you all today! Enjoy.
A lady’s guide for conquering a first date.
1. Safety First. Never let the person know where you live. Meet them somewhere. Send all of your date’s information to a few people that you trust. Give them a time to call you by to make sure that you are still alive. Hopefully if you don’t answer, your people will call the po-po to come and find you! Have a code word with your friends. If I text my girl the word “peaches” she knows to come save my butt.
2. A Happy Makeup Medium. Doll yourself up with makeup and a cute outfit, but don’t be one of those fools that over does it. You want to look natural, not like a desperate chick trying to impress her wannabe Prince Charming. Dress hot, not overdone. Guys have a sense for when a girl’s trying too hard. For the love of God, put that ball gown down!
3. Clean Teeth. Check your teeth before you go out, during your date, and after. Don't do my famous routine of smiling into the blade of your knife. I'll know what you’re doing, but your date might think you're wacked. Excuse yourself and run into the little girls room just to make sure that your smile is little free of little green particles! For a quick double check, casually take a peek at your reflection in your cell phone.
4. Watch Your Mouth. Looks are appealing, but the conversation reels that fish in. Keep the potty mouth in the trash where it belongs. Keep the gossip in your best friend’s vault. And, avoid that valley girl talk while twirling your hair. We don’t want him thinking bimbo now do we?
5. Eye Contact. Look him in the eyes. No, not stare down creepy! Keep casual eye contact throughout the date to show your interest and confidence. Someone looking up tends to be day dreaming and someone looking down shows insecurities and nervousness. A man will be able to read your body language.
6. Be Busy. I’m not talking that fake busy where you list a millions things that you would like to do but don’t actually have time for. I’m talking, be available but not too available. Let your date know you have a life but you still have time for them.
7. Ask Questions. Girls tend to mostly talk about themselves. Get to know your date and listen to them. I’m famous for this. I ask a lot of questions but my mind drifts off mid answer. Focus!!!! Don’t get too personal, but dig as deep as you can. My dad, TheViking, likes to think of first dates as an interview. In a way, he’s right!
8. Don’t Complain. Keep your complaints about life to yourself until after the date when you call a family member to vent. It’s a first date, not a psychologist appointment. Try and keep the conversation focused on positive things. I have a girlfriend who’s famous for complaining about everything! And then she wonders why they don’t call back…
9. One Drink Minimum. Please don’t come off as an alcoholic on your first date. I know you’re nervous and you want to drink the butterflies away, but this never works! Keep the one drink minimum rule. Whiskey sour? Yes, please! You want to be able to keep your composure for your safety as well. Remember, you don’t really know the guy and we don’t want you taken advantage of!
10. The Goodbye. The date depends on your parting. Keep the goodbye short and sweet. If you are interested, make it known casually with a “see you soon”. Give a hug or a quick kiss and be on your way. Don’t be awkward. The worst is when you do that weird square dance like shuffle where you don’t know if you should hug, kiss, shake hands, or hi five!
What are your tips for a great first date?