Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Ideas: Toddlers Growing Strawberries

I'm constantly trying to think of ideas to occupy MushyFace and stimulate her mind.
Do you remember when I gave the Jax seal of approval to Rio & Rio 2 just for that reason?

I can only read her so many books and let her paint so many times.
I love to teach her to sip tea and carry her purse like a lady, but even that gets old.
Baking is always fun, but Mushy can only do so much during that activity.
The best part of having an almost two year old is that everything is new and exciting for them!


That's when I started to think about my childhood.
This time of year was known for cleaning out the garden and planting seeds.
We would watch the plants sprout and grow until they were ready to be put in the garden.
All summer long we would care for the garden until we could pick the fruits of our labor.
Then The Viking would teach us to dry out the seeds from our pickings for next year's crop.
While our garden wasn't huge, it was big enough to feed us, teach us, and enjoy.

We may not own a house yet and we may not have a back yard for a garden yet.
But, that doesn't mean that I can't introduce Mushy to the magic of seeds and plants.
I bought a strawberry growing kit that came with seeds, a bucket, miracle dirt, and instructions.
Mushy picked the strawberry kit.  Trust me.  Both the hubby and I HATE strawberries.

Together we planted the seeds and covered the bucket with plastic wrap.
The plastic wrap helped create our own little greenhouse for our plant babies.
Sure enough, in a very short time, little sprouts poked out of the dirt to say hello.
Although you may not be able to spy the tiny sprouts above, they are in the picture.  I swear!

 I am not sure what will happen to our strawberry plants.
It's been a little cooler than I expected and some are starting to wither.
Perhaps some will grow strong enough that I could plant in a larger pot and actually get a fruit.
I would love to see Mushy eat a fruit that she grew from a teeny tiny seed.
And, trust me, they were teeny tiny.  I wasn't even sure they made it into the dirt!

What activities do you think about a toddler garden?

19 comments:

  1. It's too bad we as adults can not combine our childhood optimism and enthusiasm with our life experience. You could have Mushy learn a musical instrument. How about the drums? It would be noisy but at least not as dirty as a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drums?? Oh nooo. That's an awful idea. Between the drum sticks and the awful noise, I don't see this ending well..haha

      Delete
  2. lmao Mushy is growing things that scare you, way to go to her! hahahaha Well you teach her she teaches you not to be scared of strawberries, win win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realllllyyy nice, Pat. Go on and encourage Mushy to do things that scare mommy. Hmph

      Delete
    2. She has to break mommy of her silly fears

      Delete
  3. I grew up on a farm (you never would have guesses, yes, with me oh so glamorous LOL) and I loved digging carrots and potatoes out of the fresh rich soil! But I hated weeding, harvesting corn and such things....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously?! I would have never guess that about you!! I can't imagine I would enjoy harvesting corn either, but that is so awesome that you know how to!

      Delete
  4. Aww I love this idea! I think it's a great way to engage your little ones. I've never been into gardening but I wish I could! Hope you both have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Neither am I but I think it's a fun way to trick your toddler into learning something. Haha

      Delete
  5. Perfect idea, you absolutely nailed it. I don't know much about gardening sadly but I do remember (fondly) how wonderful it was to learn about seeds and making things grow. And I can proudly say that I ended up planting a tree seed in 2nd grade that is a full blown tree to this day. Makes me so proud :) I love the expanse of ideas you have for her, she is lucky indeed to have you as her mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment just completely made me smile!! There is no compliment comparable to be called a good mommy.

      Gardening isn't my specialty, but it could be fun. I think you should at least trying adopting a plant. Lol

      Delete
  6. I don't hate strawberries but I don't think they taste as good as they look. Or not as good as the artificial flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Th sunflower is a favourite for many children because it grows so quickly. Strawberries are much tastier, but I think you need to prepare the soil first. Organic fertilizer is recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can send those strawberries my way- I love 'em! :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least if you get strawberries to grow, she won't have to share them with anyone! ha.

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved