Friday, January 30, 2015

Recipe: Pasta with Sausage & Mushrooms

There are so many times when I get unexpected company for dinner.
That is not a complaint!  I love to have guests.
That being said, I feel the constant need to be prepared.
That means, always having bacon in the house just in case someone stops by for breakfast.
That also means, always having a good bottle of wine and necessary ingredients for a yummy dinner on hand.

This recipe for Pasta with Sausage & Mushrooms is something I invented on accident.
…and am I glad I made that mistake!  It’s a family dinner time favorite and very quick to prepare.
I’ve made it for several different guests on different occasions, and I always get sincere compliments.
This is a definite do for unexpected dinner guests.
Just don’t forget to take the sausage ring out of the freezer as soon as they show up!


Pasta with Sausage & Mushrooms

Ingredients: 
(1-1/2) Pounds Cheese and Parsley Sausage Ring (Cut into bite size cubes.)
(2) Packages Cleaned & Sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
(1) Can Diced Tomatoes
(1) Cup White Cooking Wine
(1) Large Onion (Diced)
(1) Cup Olive Oil
(1) Tbsp Garlic Powder
(1) Tbsp Dried Basil Leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste
(1-1/2) Pounds Barilla Medium Shells Pasta
Pecorino Romano Grated Cheese

In a large skillet, heat up half of the olive oil.  Add the onions and cook until they are translucent.  Add the mushrooms to the onions and cook until half the natural water evaporates (about 10 minutes on medium heat).  Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat up the second half of the olive oil and brown the cut up sausage.  Shut off the flame and let sit on the side.  Add the white wine to the mushrooms and let cook for about 2 minutes.  Mix the sausage into the large skillet and add the can of diced tomatoes (drained) and all of the listed seasonings.  Let cook for an additional 15 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.

In a separate pot, boil the pasta until it’s al dente.

Mix together and serve.  Garnish with a sprinkle of Pecorino Romano grated cheese on top.
Hint:  Scoop from the bottom of the serving bowl to evenly distribute the juices.


What is your go to meal for unexpected dinner guests?

20 comments:

  1. I do love me shrooms, I've made a filo pastry roll with them, yoghurt and red onions yesterday and still have some for lunch today as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods as well. I love them! I never understood why people skeeved them...well, except for the whole growing on manure thing. Isn't that why they created fruit and veggie cleaner??? haha

      Delete
  2. I heard most great inventions were actually invented by accident. I guess that goes for pasta dishes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true! You got to use what you have when people just pop over...

      Delete
  3. I don't think we've ever had an uninvited dinner guest. Guess they'd figure they wouldn't get fed showing up randomly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO! Maybe I should hide all of the food whenever people come. Eventually they may just stop coming... lol

      Delete
  4. haha I eat nothing much at all, so any random guests better bring their own food. Not that I have ever had any unannounced guests since university.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've never had an unannounced guest???? I may need to just pop up one day and scare the crap out of you. And, no worries, I'll bring a gluten free pizza! :)

      Delete
    2. lol nope, no unannounced guests in 8 years or so. You'll have to find me first lol

      Delete
  5. A Jax original recipe! Yum! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is yummy!! Its part of the reason my belly isn't flat anymore. Haha

      Delete
  6. Pizza. Maybe Chinese food. We don't have the space to prepare enough food for guests. Once we move, it'll probably be spaghetti or shrimp scampi, maybe chicken rice and broccoli. It'll depend on what we have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shrimp scampi sounds sooooo yummy actually!!

      Delete
  7. We never get guests. There's just certain houses that never get the guests and we're one of them :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No guests?? Well that's ok because your mother probably enjoys not having to cook for 10 just in case someone pops by!!! Haha

      Delete
  8. nice! that sounds yum! I, for one, with my small fridge- would be ill-prepared for unexpected dinner guests! This is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved