Friday, January 23, 2015

List: Reasons to consider a career change.

As I have previously mentioned on R&W, I have been on the job hunt.
My current job is being centralized and I will soon be reassigned to something tedious; collections.
I used to manage a credit, and collections department.  When did my career start the nose dive down?
I immediately began to apply for jobs and interview.
That’s when I learned how employers discriminate against mothers as discussed here.

Recently I got a job offer for a position that is much different than anything I’ve done before.
While I thought I would be ecstatic to get an offer, I found myself in the midst of an internal debate.
$10K salary increase, more time off, and job security?  Helllooo, Jax, wake up!
Instead of thinking positive, my anxiety kicked in and filled my brain with all the negatives.
A much longer commute, more expensive healthcare, and I’ll be a whole county away from my Mushy.

That’s when I decided to put my big girl pants on and focus on all the reasons why I should do this.
After thinking long and hard, I ultimately decided to accept the offer.
I bet you’re all wondering what changed my mind!  And, no, it wasn’t all about the money.


Reasons to consider a career change.

1.  You are no longer challenged.
If your current job doesn’t challenge you, that means that you have potential to grow.  The perfect job should always make you think a little.  If you can do your job blindfolded, maybe it’s time to utilize those learned skills and move up the corporate ladder.
Who doesn’t want a more notable title with a closed office and a significant pay check!?

2.  You think of work as a form of torture.
I’m not saying everyone is going to love what they do, but you should at least be content with your position.  If you find that you need to force yourself into the office every day, maybe it’s time to find a similar position elsewhere.  If it’s the job itself you hate and not your employer, then maybe it’s time to consider a complete career change.
Once you pinpoint what it is you dislike, it’s so easy to make a realistic plan for change.  I promise.

3.  Your bills are always late.
If you eliminated all the “extras” from your budget, and your income still doesn’t cover your expenses, it may be time to job hunt.  You can always ask for a raise, but fact is, the biggest raises are usually received when moving into a new position.
Please don’t wait for your lights to be shut off to start moves.  Be proactive!

4.  You can pay your bills, but you want more.
If your current job is paying the bills but doesn’t allow you to move out of your one bedroom apartment, maybe it’s time to let your career grow with your dreams.  Maybe you are happy with your lifestyle but are lacking the extra cash to travel or to enjoy nights out on the town.  Whatever the reason, you shouldn’t let your job limit your life.
My dream is to own a house one day.  If I don’t increase my income, that will be just a dream forever.

5.  Your job doesn’t let you live.
Unless you want your job to be your life, you need to find a company that is sensitive to its employee’s needs.  If you feel that any type of restraint isn’t for you, maybe a proposal to open a successful business should be in your future.
Evaluate your priorities and see how much of your life you are willing to give.  It is your life after all!

6.  You are being harassed, demeaned, or disrespected at work.
No matter what your job title is, there is never any excuse for you to be put down.  You deserve respect.  Don't let your job make you think low of yourself.  If this is your situation, stop reading this article and start applying for other jobs.  You deserve better.
Bullying and harassment does not end in school.  I see it all the time in the workforce.

7.  Your pay doesn't match your work load.
Employers will always want to get the most out of their employees, and that is 100% understandable.  It's when employers want more than what they are willing to pay for that it becomes a problem.  If you find that your boss keeps dumping new tasks onto your lap but isn't reciprocating with dumping more cash, it's time to look elsewhere.
Years ago, I saw 3 people quit.  Their work was dumped on me without any extra pay.  Um, not ok.

8.  There is no room to grow.
If you look around and see nowhere to go, then you should consider moving to a place where you aren't pigeon holed.  People should never limit themselves.  Most people want to grow in their careers, but choose not to because they are comfortable.  Some people feel like they can't better themselves because their education or skills limit them.  Don't limit yourself unless you believe that you reached your maximum potential.
As long as you are willing to make moves,  your career will move with you!

9.  You have no job security.
There is nothing worse than living with the constant fear of not knowing how long you will have a job for.  When a company starts to downsize, outsource, or centralize their jobs it may be time to start worrying.  There is never a guarantee that you will keep your job forever, but there are certainly companies that are way more secure than others.
Pay attention to the career red flags.  The red flag system is for more than just relationships!

10.  You just want better.
There is no shame in being perfectly content in your current position, but still wanting more. 
I mean, who doesn't want to go from happy to happier!?

What would make you consider a career change?

21 comments:

  1. Oh if I had to work 5 days I'd be out of that place faster than the cat hacks up a hairball lol good visual there huh? But since it is just 2 days, I stick around because then I get more life. 5 days is such a life suck. Plus my back doesn't take too kindly to sitting there all day, so that is another deterrent. But then again more money be nice and a challenge be nice too as I could do mine blindfolded. It is what it is I guess and when you owe nothing to nobody, not so bad haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to rub it in, Cat! lol You're right in way. If I didn't money to live, I would love an opportunity to work less. Unfortunately, that isn't my situation. You're also talented enough to bring home a paycheck from your writing. :)

      Delete
    2. If the paycheck was a lot bigger I could ditch those 2 days too, lol one can dream

      Delete
    3. Maybe one day! You never know. :)

      Delete
  2. These are all valid reasons to leave a job and I think the most important one of all is if you aren't happy!! Can't wait to hear what you decide on! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I took the position. Ultimately I had to go with the higher salary despite the much longer commute.

      Delete
  3. Great lis:) I think #2 would do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several casual jobs instead of one full-time job. It's so much more fun for me having the variety there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one great option that I wish we all had. Hopefully you can keep that going for a while. :)

      Delete
  5. you nailed it! These are textbook reasons why you should switch jobs, honestly. And they're all so, so true. It IS more than the money. General welfare, being challenged and content go a long way to long term success not only for you but for your employer. It's all so important.

    Congratulations on the next chapter and step-up!! That's great to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very nervous and a little sad, but we'll see how it goes. The increased salary will be nice, but I'm dreading the long commute. Not to mention, I've become close with several co-workers. As a group, we have a great time together and I'll be sad to leave them behind.

      Delete
  6. I had to leave one place because it seemed like waiting for full-time status would never ever happen. Found another place that had it, which wasn't the greatest job in the world at all (work-wise), but I had to do it.

    When I told them I was leaving, my department manager, and the assistant store manager begged the store manager to give me full-time. She still refused to do so. Which led me to believe she discriminated against me either because of my religious views or political views. I never told her personally but I never made it that much of a secret in general conversation with other co-workers and on FB.

    Anyways at the other place I went to, I've been there for almost three years now. Got a promotion of sorts, and I really like where I'm at. I actually had to transfer to another location just because wasn't available yet. Everytime my old boss sees me, he'll say "So when are you coming back to my store?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...people discriminate for everything. It's awful!!! As long as you aren't pushing your views onto other people, who cares?? Sigh..sorry to hear that but I am glad that it worked out in the end. :)

      Delete
  7. If you think of work as a form of torture it's definitely time to quit, unless you're one of those rare people who enjoys torture. I knew a contortionist in the circus who loved getting squished up in strange positions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not enjoy torture but I am sure statistically speaking one of my readers has to. Right?? Lol

      Delete
  8. I quit the steakhouse I worked in because I was treated like shit. The nicer managers said my sales were great considering I was given 2-3 lunch shifts during the week. Then the higher ranking manager threatened to fire me because I wasn't bringing in alcohol sales like everyone who worked Saturday nights. I also had my shifts cut from 6 a week to 2 because I called in from fevers. That punishment lasted for 4 weeks. I couldn't take it anymore and I quit right before my birthday, so it was like a present to myself. Plus, my job at the store had offered me a raise and promotion the same day that the steakhouse threatened to fire me. It was a no-brainer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you've made a great decision and opened yourself up to a wonderful new experience! Good luck in the new position :)

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved