Wednesday, December 3, 2014

List: How to make time for yourself?

As a continuation from Monday's post, let's talk about ways to make time for yourself.

When you constantly run around without time to diffuse, you tend to eventually explode.
Everyone's brain needs a break.  I don't care who you are!
As a mother, this is extremely hard for me to do.
It isn't because of time.  It's guilt.  I feel guilty not spending all my extra time with Mushy.
It took me almost two years to be able to master this whole "me time" thing.


How to make time for yourself with a busy schedule.

1.  Get Away
...this doesn't mean run away to the Caribbean...unless you can, then go and invite me!
Sometimes it's hard to stop your daily responsibilities and take a break.  Things like vacuuming, cleaning dishes, or reading your baby a story are way too tempting.  Sometimes the only way to make sure that you're going to focus on yourself, is to step away from everything for a short while.  Go read a book at Starbucks or take a jog around the neighborhood.  How about a relaxing mani/pedi or browsing through a cosmo in the sun on a park bench?  I promise that you will not feel an urge to sweep the floor at Starbucks or read books to the puppies at the park.  Get away to anywhere that your focus will only be on you.

2.  Play Hookie
I'm not talking everyday now, so don't get crazy.  This is for near explosion emergencies!
Sometimes the weekends are jam packed with errands and chores.  Other times your nights are filled with work or school.  There are times when you just can't make time for yourself because your schedule just won't allow it.  There is no shame in taking a mental health day and using PTO time at work.  There is no shame in skipping one class and resting instead.  I wouldn't make this a habit, but it can be very helpful in maintaining stress.

3.  Plan Ahead
Here she goes again trying to push her OCD on us.  Ok, maybe I'm guilty, but it works!
It's often that the culprit to your overwhelming life is yourself.  Take a few hours on Sunday and cook for the work week.  This will help you have time to relax during the week.  Take an hour during the week and budget your money for the month.  Maybe you can afford a few luxuries like take out, or that mani/pedi we were talking about.  Stay late at work on Friday, and be work free all day Saturday.  There are things everyone can do to make the most out of the time they have.  Practice this and you'll be amazed with the free time you can squeeze in!

4.  Recognize Your Time Killers
This will be different for everyone, so the solution is going to be unique to you.
My biggest time killer is my mommy guilt.  I hate kissing my Mushy goodbye to tend for myself.  This KILLS me like you have no idea.  I recognized this and I did what I needed to do to fix it.  I decided that there are relaxing things Mushy and I could do together on weekends.  I try to read her a book every night and teach her something while I'm doing it.  I ask my man to spend time with her for an hour so I can have time for me without feeling as bad.  There are ways around everything.  Recognize it and fix it.

5.  Schedule It
...I'm all for schedules, but don't forget about impromptu you time.  That's the best kind.  :)
What's your thing?  Maybe it's yoga.  Sign up for a Yoga class and work your life around it.  Wednesday nights at 7 might be your yoga you-time!  Maybe you need girl time.  Friday night happy hour from 5-7 might become your you-time!  There are things you can schedule into your life.  Watch how your responsibilities fall around your scheduled you-time like it was there all along.

How do you make time for yourself?

18 comments:

  1. Yes to all of these tips!! The only time I get overwhelmed is when I dont get enough time to workout so I have to play accordingly and schedule that time in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had time for the gym! I need to get back into that habit. I do try to stay active doing silly little things, like likes of squats! Good for you for planning that time in. Isn't it hard to do? haha :)

      Delete
  2. The ocd really helps, as you have things done and then don't have to worry about them. I've played hookie a time or three, was much needed indeed. Now with 2 days I don't really care though lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll admit that SOMETIMES ocd does help me. LOL

      Do you still get paid time off, or do you just not get paid if you call in? I'm still really jealous of your 2x a week work schedule. Sigh...maybe I should move to Nova Scotia.

      Delete
    2. haha oh I still get paid sick time and all of the benefits and 5 weeks paid vacation lmao so yeah, nothing wrong with that. Well it is cheaper here, but you'd be very bored.

      Delete
    3. Well, thanks for making me even more jealous!!!! 5 weeks paid vacation time at only 2 days a week? That basically means you NEVER have to actually show. Sigh!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes if you take a break and meditate on a situation you will come up with a time saving strategy in your mind. For example, sometimes when I am getting stressed I will lay down for a few moments, then kind of talk to myself in my head, "Hmm, I actually don't really need to do that right now... I can do that later... I will save time if I do this a different way." I save a lot of time by taking a break and coming up with a plan on how to do things more efficiently, when if I rushed into them I would probably squander a lot of time doing them inefficiently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you! The only problem I have with that, is that I am unable to meditate. My brain will think about 5 million things before I can relax my mind. I need to go go go...yet I get mad when people expect that of me. Go figure!

      Delete
  4. It often feels like there aren't enough hours in the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! Too bad we can't petition for Father Time to create a 30 hour day. hahaha

      Delete
  5. During the Australian Winter I umpire Aussie Rules Football for primary schools. It requires a LOT of fitness - picture a field that's twice as long as an American Football field and the players are constantly moving, like in hockey. The umpires have to run with them the whole time. But it's easily my favourite part of the week. I've been in very stressful or depressing places before, gone to umpire a game for an hour and walked off the ground to comments of "You look so happy when you're out there."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lot of fun, and great exercise! By the time your done, your stress is probably sweated out. haha

      Delete
  6. This is something I recently realized I need to start doing. I was near-explosion level from work, thanks to the holidays and a whole shit storm of things surrounding it. I'm working on enjoying the to and from walk, I'll take a bath when I'm home alone and will not get out until the water is cold, and trying to meditate to calm myself down. It's day 3 so we shall see how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't explode!!! We need you here!!! Take time and breathe and diffuse the bomb. :) We'll be patiently waiting. :)

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this little read, very nice reminders and some new ideas!

    I always think that the only time you are able to fully relax and read a book or something without feeling guilty for not doing something else (like sweeping, etc.) is when you're trapped on a plane. Which is awful. We should feel more entitled to our peace of mind time! Great suggestions, I like the money budgeting idea.

    Also, I loved your proposal story. I always love stories with unexpected quirks which make the story unique, fun and memorable to all involved. In a way, they become extra romantic as a result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) At least I can't say it was a cliche proposal. I wish I recorded all the hobos turn their heads around to see the proposal. I almost wished they clapped. hahaha

      Reading a book is a great way to relax! One of my favorite types. You just need to find a place where no one will interrupt you, and that you won't get distracted. Blogging is another great way to relieve stress. I enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  8. Nice. I should start taking some time for myself. I will have to keep these tips in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree with everything on your list. We all need "me time", no matter how long or short it is. Otherwise, we'd go crazy! I knit all the time....that's my me-zone:D

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved