Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Recipe: Pasta with Butternut Squash Sauce

Two things my life is real short on lately is money and time.
To save on both of those things and to keep my family healthy, I try to cook every night.
Except for Fridays.  I totally deserve at least one take out night, right? 

Growing up Madre used to make this butternut squash soup that was so yummy.
I loved it, but it totally would not fill up my 6'4 Cubano.
To solve that problem, I took my mom's recipe and twisted it up.
In the words of MushyFace "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!"

Pasta with Butternut Squash Sauce

2-lb Butternut Squash
(5-7) Sage Leaves (I roughly chop them up with a scissor.)
1 Qt Chicken Broth
3/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
Dash of Nutmeg
1-lb Pasta of Choice  (I love a swirly pasta for this recipe.)
Molasses to drizzle

Stab the squash about 6 times in random spots all around.  Place on a microwave safe dish, and cook in the microwave for 8 minutes.  Let sit in the microwave and cool for 10 minutes. 
This will make the squash soft enough to work with for us weaklings!

Cut the squash in half and scoop out all the seeds to toss in the trash.  Peel the skin with a sharp knife and cube the squash.

Heat the olive oil in a deep pot.  Place the cubed squash in the pot.  Add the chicken broth, sage leaves, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.  Cook until the squash soaks all the broth.  Meanwhile, boil your pasta.  With a potato masher, mash the squash until it looks like a thick sauce.  Cook on low for another 5 minutes stopping to stir sporadically.
Your house is going to smell so yummy while you cook this!!

Once the pasta and your butternut squash sauce is done, mix together and serve in a bowl.  Drizzle molasses on top for extra perfection.

The next time I make this, I'll snap a picture to share.
It really is a pretty dish and very delicious.
...and when things are pretty, they always taste better!  Right?

What is a quick dish you make with Autumn flavor?

**I received an e-mail yesterday asking me how often I will post.  I will be posting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday if you want to stop by.**

22 comments:

  1. Sadly, I have not been cooking anything lately that is more complicated than Chex Mix. Though I think Lean Cuisine has a Pasta w/ Butternut Squash dish... I am sure it is not as good as yours though... not by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I'm not saying cook a five star meal, but something healthy and quick saves you money and a heart attack in 5 years. All that sodium isn't good for you.

      Delete
    2. But the dollar menu at Taco Bell is soooo convenient... : /

      Delete
  2. Sounds yummy! I'll have to hand the recipe to my chef, who happens to be my daughter. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 posts a week, wow, sure you can handle that? lol just had to.

    You know me, eat the same thing three meals a day, keeps me healthy and on my feet. No take out ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Hey now, I don't want back back to deplete that quickly. hahaha

      Sigh. We need to find out more things you are able to eat! Did you try a nutritionist?

      Delete
    2. haha can eat what I eat and that is that.

      Delete
    3. Ok. I will try to accept it. Haha

      Delete
  4. That sounds very yummy....and perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is the perfect Autumn recipe!

      Delete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of squash. I'm picky. In fall, I love stew. I made a homemade beef agree once and it came out fairly well, but I also figured how where to make improvements. I don't have room for a slow cooker right now (stupid Roommate) but it's something I want to perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh..but have you ever tried Butternut Squash? It's muchhh sweeter than a regular squash. It's almost like candy. :P

      Delete
  6. i don't think i've ever had this before. but love butternut squash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so easy to make (and cheap) that you need to try it!

      Delete
  7. Oh yum - this sounds wonderful. I'll have to try this with funky coloured pasta too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Let me know if you like it. Id love to see a pic with the colored pasta. I never saw that before. :)

      Delete
  8. I always try to eat at home as much as possible. Though I never feel bad about getting pizza, because I can make it last at least 3 meals out of one large pizza.

    Though my cooking skills are limited. I can basically put something on a pan at the right temperature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great start. I should start challenging you to make these simple recipes. Besides, they totally impress ladies. :)))

      Delete
  9. Nom nom! I do love making pasta with zucchinis or squash! I usually just dice them and stirfry them with red onions and then ad sour cream. And I love to roast diced squash with potatoes in the oven :)

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved