Thursday, December 29, 2011

Some Freegan Facts ;)

The other day I was talking to my coworker.  We can refer to him as AReliableSource.  As usual, he started to tell me about all sorts of craziness.  Then he hit on a topic that sparked my interest.  Have you ever heard of Freeganism?  Don’t worry, neither did I!  He gave me a quick lecture on the basics of this bizarre lifestyle, but left me thirsty for more.  Almost immediately I went through the entire Google universe searching for facts and pictures about the Freegans.  Freegans may just be my new found heroes!

Before I go on to tell you all the fascinating things I’ve learned, let me start by saying that Freeganism is an extreme lifestyle.  It’s an act of revolt against the economy, our environment, politics, and the basic way of life.  Keep your mind open people!!  Remember:  Just because something is different, doesn’t mean that it’s bad. That being said, while I admire these people, I am far to OCD to adopt any of their habits.

Via
Freeganism:  Freegans are best known for their revolt against the food industry.  They collect and eat food that has been thrown away.  This is mostly done through an act known as “Dumpster Diving”.  I know, I couldn’t do that either.  I’m getting itchy thinking about it!  They also participate in community gardening and plate scraping.  These are all attempts at ending world hunger and unnecessary food waste.  According to Wikipedia, 1/3 of the world’s food is wasted.  Due to sell by dates and other food guidelines, the food industry constantly throws away perfectly good food.  Freegans collect this food and eat it.  According to AReliableSource, Freegans also bleach this food before they consume it.  I do not confirm this information, but I do promote it.  Hahaha  While “Dumpster Diving” may be a bit extreme for me, I do get the point they are trying to make and applaud their efforts.  So many people are going hungry in this world when tons of food is going right into the garbage.  Fail!!!

Squatting:  Freegans also participate in something referred to as “Squatting”.  To “squat” is to occupy a vacant residence without any legal authority to do so.  This is a stand against homelessness.  According to Wikipedia, there are over 1,000,000 Freegans practicing “squatting” world wide.  It’s way to risky for LMF to try, but it certainly does make sense!!  These are heroes, people!!!  Many people are bound to get annoyed by this.  I get their points too.  We work hard to pay our rent or our mortgage, while these people are illegally living in homes for free.  Ok, now I want you to throw that mindset out the window for a second and think of all the homeless people in the world.  Why are there so many homeless people in the world when there are perfectly good places that are sitting abandoned and vacant?  That is the point the Freegans are trying to make. 

Humanure:  This concept completely blows my mind!!  “Humanure” is exactly what it sounds like.  It’s manure used as fertilizer, but it’s made from human feces.  Freegans typically use “humanure” in their community gardens.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with agriculture, human waste is toxic to many plants and vegetation unless it is decomposed properly.  To do this, Freegans build unique toilet bowls made of plywood and fill them with saw dust.  While I do admire their dedication, I’m gagging already…  Apparently when they excrete (Look at me being professional! Hahaha), the waste’s poisons are filtered somehow through the sawdust.  The sawdust not only detoxifies the crap, it all also lessens the stank.  Now here’s the kicker… The feces do not compose within days.  They don’t even compose within weeks or months.  It takes over a year!!!  They need to store their home made “humanure” for over a year before it’s safe to use on plants.  For the love of God, imagine THAT in your back yard.  A nice “Shit Shed” or whatever you want to call it!!  Sigh….You can add that to your DIY list.  Lol!

Now that you’re all experts on Freeganism and parts of their lifestyle, tell me,
What do you think of Freeganism?

-LMF

P.S.  Do you see the little Facebook like button to right?  Yes, that one!  Can you click it because you love me oh so much?  Thank you!!  You're the best!  :)

15 comments:

  1. I could never do it, but it has some interesting concepts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think their heart is in the right place, but this is just NUTS. Keeping your strat for a year? ewww, dumpster diving double ewwww and living for free...hmmm no ewww there..haha I'd take that one. They do make you think, but alot of it is just too ewww for me and my ocd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm "occupying" your blog site. I'm going to live under a tarp and shit in your yard. I thing "Freeganism" is wonderful, but I'm a loser. I am kidding you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a little like the peace and love generation and VERY unhealthy. Apparently they are unaware that many plagues were started because of human waste. Sick.
    I'm afraid this is not a lifestyle for me. I would barf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm..its an interesting idea, but it's only possible because other people AREN'T Freegans. That is, they can only use discarded food because other people pay for it, you know? Like people who don't get their kids vaccinated because diseases aren't really around anymore because everyone ELSE gets their kids vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of this either. Very interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that is a crazy idea and I loved all the facts you gave me about it. Sadly, I know much about this- Portland (niches of it) is heavy into this lifestyle (not my crowd, but you know what I mean). It is interesting and I couldn't do it but at the end of the day, their intentions are good so I can't exactly hate on it. But yes, very extreme concepts... that I'm very familiar with due to my very, very, VERY green city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've heard of this--i saw it on tv somewhere. but oh noooo could i ever do that. nope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how interesting. i've never even heard of this. where have i been?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What nice blog you have, Im following you,
    PD I asked something you in the Pat blog! (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  11. the dumpster picture made me lol ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved