Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall Recipe: Spaghetti Squash

One of my brother’s favorite fall dishes is spaghetti squash.  Every season he begs me to make it for him!  I spent my Sunday night making my favorite brother his favorite dish (I’m such a good sister!!).  It came out so good that I decided to share with you. J  Keep in mind, I NEVER measure ingredients.  I measure by eye and by taste so everything listed below is an estimate.  (Italiano much?)  That being said, have some fun and experiment! 

See, it's the healthier alternative to spaghetti!  Great for us vegans and vegetarians!
Spaghetti Squash:

1 Large Spaghetti Squash

Cheaters Version:
Take a really sharp knife and puncture the squash several times throughout the entire vegetable.  Then place the squash on a microwaveable dish.  Microwave on one side for 8 minutes, turn it around, and then microwave for another 8 minutes.  BE CAREFUL, this sucker is going to be incredibly hot!  Take it out of the microwave and cut in half.  Spoon out the seeds and pulp.  Then with a fork, scrape out the insides so the flesh comes out in spaghetti like texture.  Put the vegetable in a strainer and hold on the side.
Healthy Version:
For those of us severely concerned with the radiation of a microwave (I once dated a guy whose mother didn’t even OWN a microwave.  She was convinced they were a product of the devil and a huge contributor to all the disease in today’s society.  She’s probably right!), preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Cut the squash in half and bake for about an hour or until the inside is soft.  Keep a close eye on your squash because sometimes they cook much quicker.  Then repeat the same process as above with forking out the insides.

Sauce:

Olive Oil ß Don’t be stingy!!
1 Large Yellow Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Package of Baby Bella Mushrooms  ß Yum!!
1 Can Italian Style Plum Tomatoes
1 Cup Water
½ Can Tomato paste
4 Leaves Fresh Basil
Seasoning ß I throw in whatever I got.  Usually some oregano, parsley, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.

Dice the onion and smash the garlic.  In a large skillet heat up about half a cup of olive oil, then brown the onions and garlic.  After about 5 minutes, put the stove on high heat and add the mushrooms.  Cook them until all the water is released from the vegetable and the water is cooked halfway down.  Add all the other ingredients and bring everything to a boil.  Once it is boiled, put the stove on low and let the sauce simmer for about an hour or until the sauce gets thick.

Since the tomatoes are usually in halves or thirds, I serve by putting the squash on the bottom and spooning the sauce on top.  I usually serve with a scoop of ricotta and some parmesan cheese to taste.

Enjoy, it’s delicious!!!!  Let me know how it comes out.

-LMF

5 comments:

  1. I love spaghetti squash as an alternative to noodles. I also like to Julienne my zucchini and boil it for a minute or two, which also makes an awesome alternative to noodles! Viva La Veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no food, it hurts my ocd, I have to flee..haha

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved