Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Block Party Siciliano Style

Last Saturday I went to a block party at Madre’s house.  I brought pita chips and hummus (someone's gotta bring vegetarian friendly food for me!), beer, and a dessert.  Since the chips, hummus, and beer came right from the store, I wanted to put some effort into the dessert.  I’m from a 100% Sicilian family, so it’s always appreciated when things are “homemade”.  My grandmother and her 3 daughters do not believe in anything artificial or store bought.  (I just learned what a Raman noodle was a few weeks ago from a college friend.  Just sayin..)  Between working fulltime and going to school, I didn’t have enough time to go crazy, so I settled for baking Red Velvet Cookies!  These are delicious and different.  They always stand out on the smorgasbord of desserts.  (Plus, my mom says they are addicting!)  They are real easy to make so I figured I would share the recipe with you guys so you can impress people at your next dinner party:

mmm Delicious!!
1 Box Red Velvet cake mix ßShhh dn’t tell nanny, she’ll get mad!
2 Eggs
1 tbs Vegetable Oil ßThe Italian in me always grabs for the olive oil.  I think it tastes better!
1 Cup of applesauce (I have zero clue if that is the right measurement b/c I always do it by eye.  I never put too much in though, so pour away.  Don’t be afraid!)
A few droplets of vanilla flavoring
1 bag chocolate chips

Mix all the ingredients together until it forms a nice cookie dough texture.  Pre-heat the oven to 375 (I hate when recipes put this in the bottom blurb b/c then I forget to preheat the oven.  Now I’m guilty of it..oh well..) Use two tablespoons; scoop with one and use the other one to push the dough onto the buttered cookie sheet.  Bake for 8-10 mins.  I usually make one batch plain (That’s how I like them…)  And then I mix in some chocolate chips and make the second cookie sheet chip-if-ied!  Enjoy J

These were a HIT at the block party.  Everyone always grabs them first..most likely because they are red! Lol  Either way, they put a little hint of Amerian at our Italiano block party.  (Being surrounded by classic American bbq cuisine, it was hysterical to watch the little Sicilian women in my family carry out trays of eggplant parmesan, baked ziti, and sausage with peppers in a single file line.  We stood out like real sore thumbs!) If you make the cookies, let me know what you think!

-LMF

P.S.  Did anyone watching the game last night?  NE Patriots vs MIA Dolphins  What a game!!!  I haven't yelled that loud in a long time.  Brady and Welker's record breaking touch down was insane!!  Plus, watching the sexy Aaron Hernandez roll into the endzone made this game one of the top ever for me.  Yes, I'm a New York Patriot's fan..don't want to hear it...

5 comments:

  1. I love, love, love desserts that are delicious yet easy!
    It's funny - when I glanced at the photo before I started reading, I thought those were hamburgers - so glad they weren't! I can't wait to try these.
    And it was fun reading about your Italian block party. Thanks! And thanks for joining my blog! It's great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds sooo delicious! Thanks for the recipe; I'll have to make this for the next game night :)

    ReplyDelete

Spread a smile with a comment!


Raviolis & Waterworks
My photo
Forgive quickly & kiss slowly..

R&W Instagram

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy

Labels

List That totally makes me smile Eep I really really REALLY don't know how I feel about that That lightbulb totally means I got an idea MyMan It's a holiday MushyFace I'm like so scared For the love of all things holy Yummy Yummy Yummy Friday ramblings Party Rocking Wedding I'm honored to extend the Jax seal of approval Happy Birthday Life Working women say cha ching Recipe Brother Dating Deep breathe For shame Madre Sicilian Pride Says Bada Binggg That's just so scandalous Bleh Gag Barf It's a link up That man is really yummy TheViking I'm totally not a fan Nanny Pat Hatt Question of the Month Let's play a Jax game Peaches A Life Examined Cousin Let's discuss! Biff Manly Men Go Errrrrr Memories My sincerest apologies A moment of silence All in good fun! Buddy Luciana Money Sis So stylish beauty beauty Easter Fifty Shades of Grey GodSon Happy Birthday Muffin Sigh of relief The Avengers guilty pleasures Ask Jax Book Club Carlos Contest Don't trust me with your fish Healthy habits Hipsters Home sweet home I Won I Won I Won Mancation what? Tab Thank YOU! Aaron Hernandez Candyfloss and Persie Chris Hemsworth Chris Zylka Gerard Butler Glamour Ian Somerhalder Michael Dagostino My Five Men NE Patriots Once Upon a Time Papa Pets Supernatural TV The Love Bug The Secret Circle 7% Solution Baby Childhood Fears FashionitaRG I really really REALLY want a new critter Jared Padalecki Lady In Red NFL Oui Oui Revenge Robert Downey Jr. RussianHatMan Rusty Sporkgasm Target That's just gross Youngman Brown Aaron Carter Annes Attic BJ's Sweet Nothings Betsy Boyfriend Chopstick Diet Crazy World DIY Eileen Daspin Elsie GodMother Guest Post Hollywood Spy Instagram It's a Cuban thing Jamie Dornan Jensen Ackles Just a woman and her goal L LLS Lemme Take A Selfie Linda Miraculous Ladies Miss Universe New Girl Phoebe Tonkin Rock that green thumb! Scandal Shelley Hennig Spill the juice! The Manhattan Diet The Seinfeld Syndrome Throw back! Totally dreaming Vampire Diaries Wentworth Miller Zooey Deschanel married life
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved